Canada’s largest magazine & book festival–Word on the Street–is coming to five Canadian cities this month, with opportunities for readers to browse great deals on magazine subscriptions, hear inspiring stories from their favourite writers, and go home with a scintillating stack of new reads.
- Halifax–Saturday, September 19, Halifax Central Library
- Saskatoon–Sunday, September 20, Exhibitor Marketplace
- Lethbridge–Sunday, September 20, Main Library
- Kitchener–Saturday, September 26, Downtown
- Toronto–Sunday, September 27, Harbourfront Centre
Here are some of the events and speakers we’re looking forward to, featuring NMA winners:
National Magazine Award winning fiction writer Lynn Crosbie will read from the works of fellow NMA winner Margaret Atwood. 12pm at the Toronto Book Awards tent.
11-time National Magazine Award winner Don Gillmor (The Walrus, Toronto Life, Eighteen Bridges) will talk about writing for magazines at the Wordshop Marquee at 12pm, and at the Great Books Marquee at 4pm, along with Evan Rosser, senior editor at Sportsnet magazine.
Novelist Patrick deWitt, winner of the National Magazine Award for fiction (Brick) as well as the Governor General’s Award and the Writers’ Trust Award, will speak at Sculpting New Reads at 1pm and at the Amazon Best-Seller Stage at 3pm.
John Lorinc, 7-time NMA winner for Spacing, Toronto Life, Report on Business and others, will speak about writing on urban affairs at the Nothing But the Truth tent at 5:15pm.
National Magazine Award-winning science writer Alanna Mitchell (United Church Observer) will speak about her new book, Malignant Metaphor, at the Nothing But the Truth tent at 12:30pm.
Hal Niedzvieki, founder of Broken Pencil magazine, will talk about “Trees on Mars” at the Nothing But the Truth tent, 2:15pm.
Check out these National Magazine Award-winning titles at the Exhibitor Marketplace and the Magazine Mews (MM). Word on the Street always brings out great deals on magazine subscriptions, often with gifts and back issues on sale, too. [Map of WOTS Toronto]
- Alternatives Journal, Booth #206
- Brick: A Literary Journal, Booth #133
- Broken Pencil, Booth #MM6
- Canada’s History, Booth #113
- Carousel, Booth #MM1
- ELQ: Exile Literary Quarterly, Booth 185
- Feathertale Review, Booth #MM2
- Legion Magazine, Booth #221
- Little Brother Magazine, Booth #MM19
- NOW Magazine, Booth #150
- Ontario Nature, Booth #MM10
- Owl Kids, Booth #KS23
- Quill & Quire
- Shameless, Booth #MM8
- SkyNews, Booth #184
Spacing, Booth #157
- Taddle Creek, Booth #MM5
- The New Quarterly, Booth #MM4
- The Walrus, Booth #218
- THIS Magazine, Booth #220
- Toronto Life, Booth #161
- Vallum Poetry, Booth #LL12
- Zoomer, Booth #145
Word on the Street, Toronto, is Sunday, September 27 from 11am-6pm at Harbourfront Centre, free and fun for all!
Check out Alberta Views magazine, winner of the 2008 National Magazine Award for Magazine of the Year, at their display booth at WOTS Lethbridge.
Hear National Magazine Award finalist Guy Vanderhaeghe–novelist and short story writer, winner of two Governor General’s Awards–at the Who Has Seen the Wind Tent at 3:45pm.