Indigenous Community Outreach Intern: the National Media Awards Foundation (NMAF) is seeking applications for one paid Internship position beginning in May 2018.
Description: This initiative, made possible through the generous support of the Ontario Media Development Corporation, is designed to provide a young Indigenous individual with the unique opportunity to develop their communication and writing skills, broaden their network, and gain exposure in the magazine publishing community.
The role of the Community Outreach Intern is to help the Foundation deepen relations with Indigenous authors and publications; encourage the Indigenous publishing community to get involved as stakeholders in all aspects of NMAF’s programming and showcase the stellar Indigenous creators in Canada and beyond. The successful candidate will be reporting to the Communications Manager and the Managing Director and specifically will:
- Create, launch and manage a national awareness campaign of the National Media Awards Foundation’s programs among Indigenous creators, artists and magazine professionals;
- Research and create a database of Indigenous publications and creators;
- Initiate outreach initiatives to promote the National Magazine Award and Digital Publishing Awards Call for entries;
- Support for the submissions process, judging process, and awards production.
- Handle communications and outreach with the Indigenous magazine industry
- Assist with the research and production of content featuring award-winning Indigenous creators for the NMAF blog and other social media channels;
- Assist with other ongoing projects to promote the NMAF and its various initiatives.
- Familiar with the Indigenous publishing community
- Pursuing or recently completed a degree or diploma in the fields of Communications, Publishing, Administration, Public Relations, Journalism or similar;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline with goal-oriented projects;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Career aspirations in the Canadian magazine industry or similar;
- Strong interest in fulfilling the mandate and vision of the National Media Awards Foundation.
The individual must be Indigenous.
- Gain practical knowledge of the Canadian magazine industry;
- Play an important role in the execution of NMAF projects and events;
- Make a great first impression on writers, editors, publishers and other members of the industry;
- Enhance your skill set in communications, publicity, administration, writing, editing and non-profit organizations;
- Learn more about Canadian magazines from the NMAF’s wonderful team of staff, board members and stakeholders;
- Participate in two of Canada’s most cherished and important cultural programs, the National Magazine Awards and the Digital Publishing Awards.
Terms and Remuneration: The length of the contract will be from May 2018-May 2019. The average weekly commitment is 10 hours per week. Working hours are flexible, and the work can be completed remotely. This internship is paid at a rate of $18/h.
Applications: Candidates should submit
- A cover letter demonstrating their specific interest in the internship; and
- A resume.
Please send applications by email to NMAF Communications Manager Émilie Pontbriand at email@example.com.