The 40th anniversary National Magazine Awards are in the books, and the NMAF would like to thank all of the amazing contributors, sponsors, partners, and everyone else who helped make this year’s awards program a successful and poignant celebration of Canadian magazine creators.
Thank you to Vanessa Wyse, Nicola Hamilton, and their team at Studio Wyse for creating and executing the look and feel of this year’s National Magazine Awards–including the gala program (right), tickets, stage design, and our social media design. We loved working with you!
Thank you to our three wonderful co-hosts–Kim Pittaway, Michael de Pencier, and D.B. Scott–for leading the show and delighting the audience with their wit and honouring the nominees and winners with such grace.
Thank you to Alicia Elliott for delivering a bold and timely keynote address on the issue of cultural appropriation and the role of magazines in educating Canadians.
Thank you to our Special Guests at the 40th anniversary National Magazine Awards gala and those who sent special video messages to our nominees and winners:
- Rt. Hon. Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada;
- His Worship John Tory, Mayor of Toronto;
- Sally Armstrong, UNICEF Special Representative to Afghanistan, Amnesty International-recognized human rights journalist, and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- James Ireland, legend of Canadian magazine design and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- Ken Rodmell, legend of Canadian magazine design and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- Lynn Cunningham, Ryerson University Journalism School instructor and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- Stephen Trumper, Ryerson University Journalism School instructor and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner (and his daughter Hannah);
- Al Zikovitz, CEO of Cottage Life Media and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- Paul Jones, long-time Maclean-Hunter and Rogers publisher, and former Outstanding Achievement Award winner;
- Desmond Cole, 3-time National Magazine Award winner and Newstalk 1010 host;
- Jennifer Varkonyi, publisher of Maisonneuve;
- Peter McNeill, national director of KPMG Enterprise;
- Hon Lu, National Magazine Award-winning writer;
- Min Gyo Chung, National Magazine Award-winning illustrator;
- Gilbert Li, award-winning art director and NMA judge;
- Arjun Basu, senior vice president of Bookmark Content, NMA judge, and former NMAF president;
- Marcel Courville, senior vice president of marketing at TC Transcontinental Printing;
- Anna Principe, business development manager at Rolland Enterprises;
- Jack Illingworth, literature officer at the Ontario Arts Council;
- Laurie Smith, customer marketing manager at CNW, a Cision Company.
Thank you to our Judges–the 112 individuals who volunteered their time as peer experts in Canadian magazines, serving on our juries for the 40th anniversary awards.
Thank you to the 40 National Magazine Award winners who participated in our #40at40 anniversary story, where we asked 40 people to tell us about a magazine, a creator, or a magazine story that has had a big impact on their careers. [ See Twitter version | Download PDF version ]
Thank you to our Table Patrons who generously provided discounted tickets for nominated freelance creators:
- Access Copyright
- Alberta Magazine Publishers Association
- Bookmark Content
- Canadian Media Guild
- CDS Global
- Content Writers Group
- Ryerson University School of Journalism
- University of King’s School of Journalism
Thank you to all our Sponsors and Partners for their enthusiastic support of the National Magazine Awards and Canadian magazine creators.
Thank you to the team at CCR Solutions for their production of the gala multimedia show.
Thank you to all our contributors to the 40th anniversary gala:
Program Editor: Richard A. Johnson
Program & Gala Art Direction & Design: Studio Wyse
Printing: Transcontinental Printing
Paper: Rolland Enterprises
Translation: Sophie Lecomte, Émilie Pontbriand
Copy Editing: Leah Edwards, Krista Robinson
Volunteer Coordination: Leah Jensen
Audiovisual Production: CCR Solutions
Nominees Montage: Very Good Studios
Production Interns: Eny Kuen, Leah Edwards
Outstanding Achievement Award Photography: Daniel Ehrenworth
Event Photography: Steven Goetz
News Release Distribution: CNW, a Cision Company
Chartered Accountants: Beckett Lowden Read, LLP
Caterer: Oliver & Bonacini
Venue: The Arcadian Court, Toronto
- To our 40th anniversary Program Advisory Committee: Curtis Gillespie, Danielle Groen, and Kim Pittaway
- To the Town of Huntsville, where Roy MacGregor’s original 1978 NMAF President’s Medal is now on display at the Canada Summit Centre Sports Memorabilia Collection.
- To our hardworking event volunteers.
Congratulations to the participants, nominees and winners of the 40th anniversary National Magazine Awards. We look forward to seeing you next year!