The National Magazine Awards Foundation (NMAF) is now accepting applications for one paid Administrative Internship position for the National Magazine Awards and the Digital Publishing Awards in Toronto for Winter 2016/Spring 2017.
Position: Administrative Intern
Contract Duration: September 6, 2016—June 30, 2017; 15 hrs/week on average.
Description: The successful candidate will be reporting to and working in consultation with the NMAF Production Coordinator, Special Projects Manager and Communications Manager and specifically will:
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the NMAF office, including support for the submissions process, judging process, and awards production;
- Handle some of the office-related communications and outreach with the Canadian magazine industry in both English and French—including but not limited to initiating and responding to phone calls and general email;
- Assist with the research and production of content for the NMAF blog (magazine-awards.com /French blog) and other social media channels;
- Proofread NMAF communications materials and publications, including newsletters, press releases, website copy, gala programs and related material;
- Assist with ongoing projects to promote the NMAF and its various initiatives;
- Attend regular staff, board and committee meetings;
- Bilingualism (French-English) a very strong asset
- Pursuing or recently completed a degree or diploma in the fields of Communications, Publishing, Administration, Public Relations, Journalism or similar;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Familiarity with the Canadian magazine industry;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline with goal-oriented projects;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Career aspirations in the Canadian magazine industry or similar;
- Strong interest in fulfilling the mandate and vision of the National Magazine Awards Foundation.
- Gain practical knowledge of the Canadian magazine industry;
- Play an important role in the execution of NMAF projects and events;
- Make a great first impression on writers, editors, publishers and other members of the industry;
- Enhance your skill set in communications, publicity, administration, event planning, writing, editing and non-profit organizations;
- Learn more about Canadian magazines from the NMAF’s wonderful team of staff, board members and stakeholders;
- Participate in one of Canada’s most cherished and important cultural events, the National Magazine Awards.
Terms and Remuneration: The length of the contract will be from Sept 6, 2016 to June 30, 2017. The average weekly commitment may range from 10 hours per week (Oct-Dec; Feb-Mar; Jun) to 20 hours per week (Jan; Apr-May). Working hours are flexible except at specific times, and most work may be completed remotely.
This internship is paid at a rate of $11.25/h.
Applications: Candidates should submit
- A cover letter (written in French or English) demonstrating their specific interest in the internship;
- A resume;
- At least one letter of reference from a professor or career mentor.
Please send applications by email to NMAF Production Coordinator Leah Jensen at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2017 Internship Application” in subject.
Application Deadline: August 26, 2016.