The National Magazine Awards Foundation (NMAF) is now accepting applications for one paid Administrative Internship position for the National Magazine Awards (NMAs) and the Kenneth R. Wilson Awards (KRWs) in Toronto for Winter 2015/Spring 2016.
Position: Administrative Intern
Contract Duration: September 28, 2015—June 30, 2016; 15 hrs/week on average.
Description: The successful candidate will be reporting to and working in consultation with the NMAF/KRW Communications Manager and Special Projects Manager and specifically will:
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the NMAF/KRW office, including support for the submissions process, judging process, and awards production;
- Handle some of the office-related communications and outreach with the Canadian magazine industry in both English and French—including but not limited to initiating and responding to phone calls and general email;
- Assist with the research and production of content for the NMAF blog (blog.magazine-awards.com) and CBM Blog (CBMassociation.com) and other social media channels;
- Copy edit and fact-check NMAF/KRW communications materials and publications, including newsletters, press releases, website copy, gala programs and related material;
- Assist with ongoing projects to promote the NMAF/KRW and its various initiatives;
- Attend regular staff meetings;
- Exceptional communication skills;
- Familiarity with the Canadian magazine industry;
- Ability to work independently and on deadline with goal-oriented projects;
- Solid writing and editing skills;
- Knowledge of French a strong asset;
- Career aspirations in the Canadian magazine industry or similar;
- Strong interest in fulfilling the mandate and vision of the National Magazine Awards Foundation.
- Gain practical knowledge of the Canadian magazine industry;
- Play an important role in the execution of NMAF projects and events;
- Make a great first impression on writers, editors, publishers and other members of the industry;
- Enhance your skill set in communications, publicity, administration, event planning, writing, editing and non-profit organizations;
- Learn more about Canadian magazines from the NMAF’s wonderful team of staff, board members and stakeholders;
- Participate in one of Canada’s most cherished and important cultural events, the National Magazine Awards.
Terms and Remuneration: The length of the contract will be from September 28, 2015 until June 30, 2016. The average weekly commitment may range from 10 hours per week (Nov-Dec; Feb-Mar; Jun) to 20 hours per week (Jan; Apr-May). Working hours are flexible except at specific times, and most work may be completed remotely.
This internship is paid $11.25/hour.
September 18, 2015. September 25, 2015.
How to apply: Applications must consist of a cover letter demonstrating your specific interest in the internship, a résumé, and a letter of reference from a professor or a mentor. Applications must be sent via email to Émilie Pontbriand, Communications Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is
September 18 September 25.
The NMAF internship program has been made possible in part by the Government of Canada.
An earlier version of this post mistakenly indicated a pay rate of $11 per hour. The rate is in fact $11.25 per hour.