This year the Canadian magazine industry will celebrate the 37th annual National Magazine Awards. Submissions open on December 1 for awards in 48 categories, and we are looking for volunteer judges to serve on our juries for these categories.
Each year the National Magazine Awards Foundation relies on the generously donated time and expertise of over 200 volunteer judges, who sit on three-member peer juries for our written, visual, integrated and special awards.
Ideal candidates should fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- Editor, art director, publisher, web editor or other staff member (past or present) of a Canadian magazine, whether or not your publication participates in the National Magazine Awards (naturally you cannot serve as a judge in a category where your magazine is entered, but potentially in other categories);
- Freelance or staff writer, illustrator, photographer or digital creator, where a significant portion of your work is in Canadian magazines (especially if you have been nominated for or won a National Magazine Award yourself);
- Journalist with expertise in a particular field represented by one or more NMA categories (such as health, business, science, sports, travel, lifestyle, food, finance, poetry, etc);
- Bilingual (obviously not all of our judges need be bilingual, but all written categories are judged by both unilingual and bilingual juries, and most other categories include one or more bilingual members on their juries).
For more information, review the NMAF’s Judging Process on our website, as well as the Eligibility & Rules and Previous Judges.
To submit yourself or a colleague as a candidate to judge, please contact the NMAF at staff [at] magazine-awards.com. Please include your name, contact information and a brief bio or summary of your expertise.
[This post has been updated] Each autumn the NMAF convenes one or more Round-Table discussions with members of the industry to help us ensure we are representing the needs of our stakeholders.
On Thursday, September 26 [Update: at 2:30pm] in Toronto the National Magazine Awards Foundation (NMAF) will host an industry Round-Table discussion concerning its policies on magazine eligibility and its judging process. All stakeholders and representatives of participating magazines are invited attend, but must RSVP not later than Friday, September 20.
Agenda: The NMAF has proposed two general topics for discussion and feedback; however, we also invite attendees to table other questions, concerns and ideas regarding the policies, procedures and roles of the NMAF in the magazine industry.
- Magazine Eligibility: What defines a magazine and who may participate in the National Magazine Awards?
- Digital Magazines & Content: Is the NMAF serving the needs of the industry and representing relevant creators?
Participants: Members of the NMAF Board of Directors and Judging Committee will join industry representatives for a 90-minute open discussion. Ideal participants will fulfill one or more of the following criteria:
- General familiarity with NMAF’s operations, stakeholders and roles in the Canadian magazine industry;
- Prior service as an NMA judge, particularly judges who’ve participated in multiple years and/or multiple categories;
- Interest in / experience with being involved with the broad issues of the NMAF and the Canadian magazine industry at large;
- Working in / knowledge of digital magazine production or digital aspect of the magazine industry;
- General seniority or prominence in the industry;
- Representation from a variety of participating magazines, magazine companies, and geographic regions of Canada.
Participants from outside Toronto may attend via teleconference. Participants in Toronto are encouraged to attend in person.
Those interested to attend should please contact NMAF Special Projects Manager Richard Johnson not later than Friday, September 20.
Email: richard.johnson [at] magazine-awards.com
Confirmed participants will receive a detailed agenda and other event information by Monday, September 23.
Each year the National Magazine Awards Foundation relies on over two hundred volunteer judges to evaluate the collection of nearly 2000 wonderful submissions we receive from magazines and individuals across the country. [Version française ici]
These judges are not only leaders and experts in their field but also committed to ensuring a strong and vibrant Canadian magazine industry where excellence today serves as the standard for tomorrow’s creators.
This year we are looking for new judges to serve on English, French and bilingual juries for written categories, as well as juries for visual, integrated and special categories, including digital-publishing experts.
Judges ideally should be veterans of the magazine industry in editing, publishing, writing, art direction, illustration, photography, digital production or circulation, or offer expertise in a particular field pertinent to the National Magazine Awards.
Whether you have judged in the past or are new to the National Magazine Awards, we welcome and will consider all candidates.
To nominate yourself or a colleague as a judge, or for more information, please review the NMAF Judging Process and contact our office at staff [at] magazine-awards.com.
Each year the National Magazine Awards Foundation relies on over two hundred volunteer judges to evaluate the trove of wonderful submissions we receive from magazines and individuals across the country.
This year we are looking for new judges to serve on English, French and bilingual juries for written categories, as well as juries for visual, digital, integrated and special categories. Judges ideally should be veterans of the magazine industry in editing, publishing, writing, creative direction, illustration, photography or circulation, or offer expertise in a particular field pertinent to the National Magazine Awards.
To nominate yourself or a colleague as a judge, or for more information, peruse the list of NMA Categories and the NMAF Judging Process, and contact our office at staff [at] magazine-awards.com.